UPDATE: Winner will be announced on this webpage and our Facebook page in the 1st week of May. Please keep checking this page. Due to the tremendous response to the Megamind Founder's scholarship and some operational issues due to COVID lockdown, we have decided to extend the marking window until the end of April. Results will be declared in the 1st week of May. Please keep checking this page for any updates.
he Megamind Founder’s Scholarship Program was established in 2020 by Megamind Learning Centre. Megamind Learning Centre prides itself in providing an exceptional tutoring program for students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12, Abacus Mental Math, and an accredited private high school program. During the events of the COVID-19 pandemic, Megamind Learning Centre wanted to give back to the community and extend a helping hand. This stimulated the creation of the Megamind Founder’s Scholarship Program which will award a one-time scholarship of $1000 to the student who writes the best short story or informational text for children. The written work may be in either English or French.
Anyone can apply. You do not need to be enrolled with Megamind Learning Centre to participate. The Megamind Founder’s Scholarship Program will be administered and judged by the founder of Megamind Learning Centre as well as a handpicked panel of judges.
To successfully apply for the scholarship, applicants must submit a short story or informational text on a topic of their choice in either English or French. The text must consist of 400-800 words and must be targeted towards children from ages 6-13.
Stories and articles will be rated on a scale of levels 1-4 (4 representing stellar performance) based on the following criteria.
- Demonstration of Creativity and Innovation
- Value to the Reader
- Quality of Written Work
- Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation
If you decide to research and use additional sources in your writing, please submit any website links or book names that have been used in your writing.
Please be reminded that only the singular winner will receive the award amount.
- Scholarship Amount: $1000 CAD
- Number of Scholarships: 1
- Renewable: No
- Financial Need: No
- Deadline to Apply for 2022: TBD
To be considered for the Megamind Founder’s Scholarship program, the applicant:
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Must be in Grades 8-12
- Applicants must submit only one written piece in the application.
- Applicants may not be a direct relative of anyone currently employed at Megamind Learning Centre.
- Applicants must not submit work that has already been published. All work must be original and the sole work of the applicant. Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
- You do not need to be a student at Megamind Learning Centre to participate in the Megamind Founder’s Scholarship Program.
Tips and Tricks for Success
- Try to avoid reiterating fairy-tales and fables that have already been written.
- Think of different ways to start rather than “Once upon a time,” or “On a dark and stormy night.”
- Try to keep an unbiased viewpoint and steer clear from controversial topics.
- Be creative and think outside the box when coming up with ideas.
- Keep the age-level of the readers in mind when producing the written work. Make sure the content and language is appropriate for the audience in question.
- Double-check your work for any grammatical or punctuation errors.
Terms & Conditions
- Megamind Learning Centre will not share the names or personal information of applicants with anyone other than the judge panel.
- Megamind Learning Centre reserves the right to use and edit applicant submissions for publishing as either reading material, comprehension passages for our classrooms, on the official website, or on social media with full attribution including their name and grade. An option to opt-out of publication will be available on the application and will not be subject to change. If chosen for publication on worksheets, Megamind Learning Centre reserves the right to develop a question set to accompany the written work. All submissions chosen for publication will receive a certificate of achievement by email.
- Singular winner will be contacted within two months of the submission deadline.
- Megamind Learning Centre will not contact anyone other than the singular winner.
- Megamind Learning Centre reserves the right to withhold the scholarship if there is a lack of quality in the submissions.