Mathematics has always been a bugbear for many students. Students who get straight A’s in languages, social studies and even science have difficulty in getting good grades in math. Yes, learning math requires a certain aptitude for numbers, formulae and spatial visualization. But all of these can be learnt without pain, frustration and tears.
Mathematics can be downright intimidating and even affect one’s self-confidence. The primary reason for poor math skills in students can be found in the way the subject is taught to them. Learning any subject can be dry or it can be fun. Mathematics is no exception. It requires a skilled tutor who can catch the imagination of children from a young age and make everyday events relatable to them.
Importance of Learning Math
So, let us first discuss why learning math is important. Math helps us to build mental discipline, develops analytical skills and teaches us logical reasoning. In lower grades, you may feel that math is not relevant to other subjects, but as you reach higher grades, you will find that it plays an important role in science, social studies, and even art and music. Math helps us to figure out things like household budgets, how fast you need to be to get somewhere on time, measuring out ingredients to bake a cake, constructing a house, understanding sports, planning a vacation, and a million other things.
How to Learn Math Without Tears
Now that you know that it’s pretty difficult to get by without math, you might as well get down to learning it. But here’s the good news: learning math need not be the nightmare that it tends to become. So, how does one go about learning math?
Firstly, it goes without saying, you need a good teacher. Let us see what the characteristics of a good math tutor are:
- A good math tutor needs to have a clear understanding of the subject.
- A good math tutor should be excited to teach the subject.
- A good math tutor needs to be an effective communicator.
- A good math tutor should be patient and understanding.
- A good math tutor should be able to relate various math concepts with real-world applications.
- A good math tutor should be able to provide undivided attention.
- A good math tutor should be able to inspire a love for numbers in his/her students.
We could probably find more important characteristics but these seven are sufficient to get a good idea.
Secondly, you need to develop some characteristics to be a good math student. Let us see what those are:
- You need to be patient and diligent.
- You need to follow instructions, complete your assignments and revise your lessons.
- You need to approach your teacher if you find certain concepts difficult to understand.
- You need to understand that it’s OK to make mistakes.
- You need to understand and analyse your mistakes and take steps to rectify them.
- You need to have a study partner or a study group who can help you out.
- You need to find a way to enjoy the process of learning math.
Once you start to develop these characteristics, you will find that learning math can be quite a lot of fun.
The Roadblock to Learning Mathematics
Quite often, in a school set-up, it is not always possible to inculcate all these characteristics, either for the teacher or the student. One major reason is the high student-to-teacher ratio, which does not allow for quality interactions. Another major roadblock to effective math learning is the negative mindset imposed by parents based on their own bad experiences with the subject. But there are ways to overcome problems like these. Let us what the solution is.
Join a Private Tutoring Centre
Joining private math tutoring is a great way to learn a subject like math without pain. Let us what the advantages are:
- Highly trained tutors who can inspire a love for math.
- More quality attention is paid to students due to the low student-to-teacher ratio, leading to quicker solving of doubts and mistakes.
- Flexible approach to teaching math based on the individual student’s ability.
- Inculcation of good study habits and the opportunity to work in groups with other students.
Once you are enrolled in a good tutoring centre, you will discover a whole new way to learn math and enjoy it too. Learn more about tutoring by searching for tutoring near me on the internet and contacting your nearest Megamind Learning Centre.